Monday, March 26, 2018

March Questions: Musicals

Fondles asked:

Do you like musicals? And if you do, what's your favorite?



I do like musicals! I think Sir probably likes musicals even more than I do, too!

I grew up in New York City. Broadway was very accessible, and I went to shows starting at a young age. My elementary school even took us to see Cats and the Rockettes (more than once!). My high school also took us to see RENT, and Miss Saigon.

I would go to shows with my family too. We were not well-off. A trip like this was a special treat for a special occasion; something that was saved for. We'd get all dolled up and make a big evening out of it; going to a nice restaurant before or after.

I wouldn't call myself a theatre nerd, or someone who is really into it, though I do enjoy them. A friend of mine makes it a point to see several shows each season, waits outside to get her playbills signed. That is not me. I will go if I have the opportunity. I will give tickets as a very nice gift as well. But my small discretionary income doesn't go solely to live shows, usually. It has been years since I have seen a show on Broadway; certainly before Sir and I moved in together, and that is nearing on four years ago. Though Sir did get me tickets to see the Addams Family Musical when it came to our regional theatre.

That all being said, my favorite musical is Wicked. It was an amazing production visually, a great twist on the classic story, and the soundtrack is fantastic.

A few others I really like: Avenue Q, Dr Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog, RENT, Cabaret.

Others I've seen in the past: Cats, Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, Jesus Christ Superstar, In the Heights.

I really want to see: Hamilton, and Kinky Boots.

I haven't seen them live (and some don't have live productions), but I like:

 Hairspray, Rocky Horror, Little Shop of Horrors, Chicago, Les Miz, The Producers, The Wiz, Sweeney Todd, Across the Universe,  Labyrinth, Anastasia, Beauty and the Beast, CAMP, Enchanted, Frozen, Some Like It Hot, Grease, Into the Woods, Victor/Victoria, Refer Madness, The Wedding Singer, Yentl.

I could probably be more into musicals, as I enjoy them. I enjoy the gift of experiences over physical things, and seeing live theatre, especially musical would fit the bill!

Thanks for your question, Fondles!



14 comments:

  1. Hi Lea, you lucky thing being able to attend shows at Broadway. I am envious half a world away lol. I haven't been to many shows but do enjoy it.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize it at the time, since it was the norm, but having moved away I have a greater appreciation for it!

      Delete
  2. Lea that would have been fabulous growing up in NYC and going to Broadway to see musicals. Its nice both you and your Sir are into musicals. I really enjoyed reading your answer.
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lindy. I never realized what a novel experience it was, especially for those not in the area! It was always special, but until I moved away it seemed like a thing everyone did for special occasions!

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen a musical on Broadway, only the travelling versions that come to Canada. My all time FAVOURTIE is Les Miserables. I have seen it 3 times. I have seen Phantom ( meh, not a fan) and I once received free tickets from a cast member I met through work to see Show Boat. I was pregnant at the time and boy did our oldest , 'rock it out' during the performance! lol.

    I recently went to see Menopause the Musical. I am not menopausal but OMG it was hilarious! I recommend anyone who has the chance to go and see it! Seriously it is such a good time.

    I used to watch old movies that were musicals growing up too. Hello Elvis. LOL. ( Um skinny hot Elvis)

    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Willie,

      I hear some of those travelling productions are amazing though!

      I've never seen Les Miz live. I did see the most recent movie. I enjoyed it, but Russell Crowe really put a damper on it for me. He was terrible.

      Phantom was... okay. I don't think I'd want to see it again live.

      Elvis is classic.

      Delete
  4. Lucky you Lea,
    I love seeing a show too although I hate going in to London 🙈. My favs are Billy Elliot and Kinky Boots was so good 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. London's got to be a great experience to see a show. I was very jealous when Cursed Child was out in West End. It's finally coming to Broadway here, though!

      Delete
  5. Kinky Boots for the win!!!
    Billy Porter is so very, very good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just going to have to add it to my list even more!

      Delete
  6. I so love musicals! Hamilton and Kinky Boots is on my list also...I am introducing the older (almost 9 and almost 10) to them. This weekend we will be in NYC seeing Alladin. hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please let me know what you think of it! I've heard great things about the cast. I saw a video "battle" at an Airport once of the Aladdin cast vs. the Lion King cast.

      Delete
  7. I like musicals too! That would have been pretty cool, getting to go to shows in NYC like you did. Sweet. Thanks for sharing your list - I haven't seen very many of those, I'll have to try some of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so much more appreciation for it now.

      If you do watch any, I'd love to know your thoughts!

      Jesus Christ Superstar is supposed to be on TV on Easter Sunday!

      Delete

I ❤ comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...