Monday, January 25, 2016

Anniversary and Ennui

Two separate topics for this title. Just felt the need to say that.


Dinner at home, and  a toast to us!

Last weekend, Sir and I went to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. We had a great time! Friday night I made us a nice dinner at home, and Saturday we went away. The hotel was... awful, admittedly, but we made the best of it. And the pool and hot tub were at least enjoyable. Just the condition of the rooms and severe lack of customer service.

En Garde in the Melting Pot, and a sweet surprise with dessert!

We had dinner on Saturday night at The Melting Pot, and it was fabulous! Honestly, the best dining experience I've ever had. Amazing service. They seated us in "Lover's Lane" which was a private booth. You could even turn the lights down low. We had a great time just being silly, chatting, and having a novel dinner out. When we came back we were honestly like two old sloths stuffed to the brim. We just snuggled and watched TV before bed. Sunday we went to explore a cave local to the hotel, and it was lovely.

We're in a cave!
I did end up getting Sir a gift, even though we had decided that instead of gifts, we would go away. The previous week at our local munch, one of the leaders were showing off her pitcher candles. Sir was particularly interested in one. I made arrangements to go pick up some of these candles without his knowledge. I had to lie to him to do it, but it was so I could surprise him. Meeting with her to pick them up was a week after he'd seen them. Well, for some reason when I got back, he brought her and the candles up, at random, and kept talking about them. I could feel my resolve breaking, and I eventually gave in and showed him what I got. It was hard, because I was so excited, and the timing of him bringing it up was just weird. He didn't know, though! I thought he did, somehow, and was toying with me a little. He liked that I didn't even make it a full 30 minutes of keeping the secret once I got back into the house. We didn't use them on our getaway, but Sir made great use once we got back. He lined them up on my back while lit for added anticipation. I tried my best to stay still, but eventually they came down, coating me with the wax. I think I was more fearful of the flame, to be honest. It didn't go out once knocked over!

It was wonderful, as has been the past 5 years.
I would do it all over again!



On an unrelated note, I've been fighting a bout of depression and apathy. Maybe it's the fact that winter is actually here. Maybe it's coming back from the excitement of last weekend. Maybe it's being a homebody lately.Maybe it's continued grief. Maybe it's being snowed in. Maybe it's a little bit of all of those things.

We got over 2 feet of snow this weekend and we're still snowed in here. No plow has gotten to our street, not once. Sir has missed class today. We're trying to figure out how to get him out of here, but I don't think the two of us can shovel the entire street. And that's IF the connecting streets are all plowed, and I know that at least one of them isn't. We're hoping a business we live near will plow their parking lot, and then we can maybe shovel a path from his car to there to get him out. We'll see.

4 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! And I hope your plow comes by soon, that would be terrible. One thing about Wisconsin is that we have a lot of snow sometimes, but also very good plowing service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Melting Pot! Fondue is always fun. Did you do the full Monte (cheese fondue to start, meat and oil fondue for the main course, and chocolate fondue for the dessert)?

    On a second note, how cool to go visit a cave. That's a neat, out-of-the-ordinary thing to do for your anniversary. Congrats to you and your Sir, Lea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! i have been meaning to pop over here forever!! i hope you had a wonderful time! Love the pictures! One thing about you is that you're too smart for you're own good! lol. You already know why you've got a case of the blues it's just figuring out how to pull yourself out of it that's the hard part, isn't it? If you figure it out, let me know how you did it, would ya? This time of year just seriously sucks. You'll feel better once the sun comes out and you can get out of the house. How long have you been cooped up and not working? You're so used to being super busy i'm not surprised you're not your usual perky self. You'll totally pull yourself out of it though, i have no doubt! We're rearranging the house and furniture, that's helping me. Maybe you could start a small project? Anyway, *hugs* take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all!

    @ancilla_ksst: We finally got a plow after 3 days. Sir, me, and some neighbors shoveled most of our street by hand so we could get out.

    @Jake: We did do the full monty, the Four course experience. It included a salad after the cheese course. I feel like I'd never been so full. I know you can take stuff to go, but Sir and I were determined that there not be leftovers.

    @treasure: It's great to see you over here. Maybe being smart about it is a good thing... like if you know the problem you can work on a solution more effectively.

    ReplyDelete

I ❤ comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...